I love the new techy workout clothing. The wicking is great but I swear it not only wicks moisture but smell. There are days I take it out of the dryer and it still smells. My old non-tech clothing never did this so it’s got to be something to do with the new technology.
After scouring the internet about this issue here is what I found:
- wash clothes immediately if possible
- If you can’t wash them right away hang them up so they don’t stay in a wet crumbled mess.
- If the smell is really bad you can pre-soak garmets in a 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water for 30 minutes.
- If you pre-soak do not use detergent with bleach or rinse the clothes in water before washing.
- Add 1/2 cup – 1 cup of vinegar in wash cycle (obviously not if you’re using detergent with bleach)
- One thing I read that I don’t necessarily agree with is use a product like Tide for sports. I tried it and wasn’t overwhelmed with it’s performance.
- One product I read good things about but haven’t tried myself is WIN High Performance Detergent. It’s sponsored by the US Olympics. I found it available for sale at Buy.com. I am thinking of trying it and will update this post when I do.
So there you have how to get the smell out of your performance gear. If you try everything above and your clothes still make people gasp it may be time to throw them away.